The MITRE Corporation
McLean, VA 20598
Why choose between doing meaningful work and having a fulfilling life? At MITRE, you can have both. That's because MITRE people are committed to tackling our nation's toughest challenges—and we're committed to the long-term well-being of our employees. MITRE is different from most technology companies. We are a not-for-profit corporation chartered to work for the public interest, with no commercial conflicts to influence what we do. The R&D centers we operate for the government create lasting impact in fields as diverse as cybersecurity, healthcare, aviation, defense, and enterprise transformation. We're making a difference every day—working for a safer, healthier, and more secure nation and world. Our workplace reflects our values. We offer competitive benefits, exceptional professional development opportunities, and a culture of innovation that embraces diversity, inclusion, flexibility, collaboration, and career growth. If this sounds like the choice you want to make, then choose MITRE—and make a difference with us.
MITRE’s Communications Network Engineering and Analysis Department, T861, which is part of MITRE’s Infrastructure and Networking Technical Center, seeks an engineer who is passionate about wireless networking to perform research, design, analysis, experimentation, and/or modeling and simulation of wireless networks supporting various US government initiatives. Your specific duties will depend on the wireless networking knowledge and experience that you already have, while also providing you with the opportunity to gain new skills through exposure to aspects of networking and communications that are unfamiliar to you. You will work with a team of highly skilled engineers on wireless networking projects to solve our nation’s most complex problems.
Perform research, design, analysis, hands-on prototyping, testing, experimentation and/or modelling and simulation to address complex questions regarding design, security and performance of wireless networking that are faced by a variety of MITRE’s customers. As the government’s not-for-profit, trusted, unbiased advisor, MITRE performs advance wireless networking research that is very different from the type of standard, operational networking support that is typically provided by DoD contractors. Examples of advanced wireless networking projects at MITRE include:
- Perform wireless engineering, analysis, modeling & simulation, and experimentation
- Evaluate the performance of MAC and higher layers of wireless networks
- Propose and contribute to R&D initiatives
- Participate in commercial and government wireless working groups to standardize secure approaches to implementing wireless solutions
This position will require the candidate to make use of his or her fundamental understanding of and interest in wireless networking protocols and principles. Specific duties include one or more of the following:
- Develop and program prototypes in C/C , Java or Python
- Build lab-based testbeds and conduct proof-of-concept experiments
- Evaluate the performance of operational wireless networks using various measurement tools and testing equipment
- Work with Linux and Windows development tools
- Design and test apps on Apple and Android smartphones
To be clear, this is not the type of wireless networking engineering position that involves administering, configuring, managing, updating, operating, troubleshooting, or otherwise maintaining a production network to support the work of other analysts.
- BS in Electrical Engineering or related field
- Network Working Engineering experience
- Familiar with TDMA, CDMA, CSMA, OFDM and OFDMA
- Knowledge of wireless networks, protocols and standards (e.g. W-CDMA, Bluetooth, GPRS/EDGE, WLAN, MANET, 4G LTE)
- Familiar with networking Protocols (TCP, IP, BGP, OSPF, MPLS, MANET)
- R&D and analysis interest and experience
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Work well in a collaborative team environment
- Self-motivated to learn new technologies and flexible to support tasking in a variety of areas
- Ability to obtain/maintain a DoD Secret Clearance (U.S. Citizenship required)
- MS or PhD degree in Electrical Engineering or related field with 3 years of experience
- C/C , scripting languages, Python or Java programming experience
- Modeling and simulation experience using commercial tools (e.g. Riverbed/OPNET, MATLAB, QualNet, STK)
- Hands-on test and evaluation experience
The MITRE Corporation
Website : http://www.mitre.org
MITRE is a not-for-profit organization that operates research and development centers sponsored by the federal government. We operate FFRDCs—federally funded research and development centers—which are unique organizations that assist the United States government with: Scientific research and analysis Development and acquisition Systems engineering and integration We also have an independent research program that explores new and expanded uses of technologies to solve our sponsors' problems. MITRE's Sole Focus Is to Operate FFRDCs MITRE is chartered to work in the public interest. We have no commercial interests. We have no owners or shareholders, and we can't compete for anything except the right to operate FFRDCs. This lack of commercial conflicts of interest forms the basis for our objectivity. We also have the ability to acquire sensitive and proprietary information from the government and industry to inform our work. These organizations are able and willing to share data because they know we won't use it for a competitive advantage. Moreover, because we operate multiple FFRDCs, we foster a culture of knowledge sharing. We apply what we learn from addressing one sponsor's challenges to similar issues faced by other federal agencies. This means when sponsors engage with us, they have access to all the minds of MITRE. (Video) MITRE, a strategic partner working with industry and academia to apply science, technology, and systems engineering, enables the government and the private sector to make better decisions.